Re: video (VGA) object-files unconditionally built/included?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Apr 12 2009 - 19:07:30 EST

Dag Bakke wrote:

Probably.
Hand-editing the video*.o-files out of the Makefile and dropping the
call to set_video in main.c gained me 4768 bytes. Definitely less than
87kB, but posibly worth the effort. To me, anyway.

Sorry about the noise, thank you for replying.

For the benefit of other readers working on small kernelimages, this URL
may prove helpful:
http://elinux.org/Kernel_Size_Tuning_Guide

For what it's worth, you're welcome to submit a patch which makes this a configuration option conditional on CONFIG_EMBEDDED.

-hpa