Re: Out-of-order writing by disk drives

From: Mark Lord
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 13:40:24 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 06:33:50PM +0200, Anton Ertl wrote:
Andi Kleen wrote:
"Anton Ertl" <anton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
/dev/md2 /home ext3 defaults,barrier=1 1 2
Just make sure /dev/md2 is a RAID1, MD RAID0/5/10 don't support barriers.
Thank you. I added the following to the README:

|Note that, as of this writing (2009-04), not all Linux devices support
|barriers, in particular md devices only support them in RAID 1 mode;
|the kernel will reportedly warn about the lack of barriers if you try
|to use ext3 with barriers on a device that does not support barriers
|(look in, e.g., dmesg).

A full listing of what devices do and don't support barriers would
be likely very long. You would actually need to list down to hard disks.

A common problem is barriers over LVM. Since 2.6.29 they work
with a single device (and if the underlying device supports it) with dm linear, but not in any other LVM setup.

..

Does anyone else here find this rather peculiar?

The folks who actually care about barriers the most
(apart from kernel developers) are probably enterprise users.

And who is most likely to be using RAID and LVM,
where barriers generally don't work at all ?