Re: [RFC v2] virtio: add virtio-over-PCI driver

From: David Hawkins
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 18:27:37 EST

Hi Grant,

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about this. I was intending to use the
Virtex's memory region for all virtio, but if I can allocate memory
regions on both sides of the PCI bus, then that may be best.

Sounds like you can experiment and see what works best :)

If you use
a PCI Target only core, then the MPC5200 DMA controller
will have to do all the work, and read transfers might
be slightly less efficient.

I'll definitely intend to enable master mode on the Xilinx PCI controller.

Since you understand the lingo, you clearly understand
there are core differences :)

Our target boards (PowerPC) live in compactPCI backplanes
and talk to x86 boards that do not have DMA controllers.
So the PCI target board DMA controllers are used to
transfer data efficiently to the x86 host (writes)
and less efficiently from the host to the boards
(reads). Our bandwidth requirements are 'to the host',
so we can live with the asymmetry in performance.

Fortunately I don't have very high bandwidth requirements for the
first spin, so I have some room to experiment. :-)

Yes, in theory you have enough bandwidth ... then a
few features are added, the PCI core is not quite as
fast as advertised, etc etc :)

Cheers,
Dave