Re: USB storage no-boot regression (bisected)

From: Mark Lord
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 11:37:58 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:25:05 -0400
Mark Lord <lkml@xxxxxx> wrote:

Greg KH wrote:
..
The issue is that you were just lucky that your machine worked
properly previously. My boxes with the same type of setup didn't,
so I quickly realized what the root delay boot option was for. You
need to just do the same thing here, there's nothing else we can do.
..

Bad excuse.

SATA drives also take variable amounts of time to "show up" at boot.
Perhaps Jeff should customize libata for your and Arjan's exact
setups, just to help with understanding the point here. :)

the difference is that with sata you know when you are done and have all
possible drives. No so much much with USB. So with SATA we can, and do,
wait for the scan to complete at the right point in the boot.

The speed ups are fine (and welcome), but we really now need
Arjan to follow-up with a patch to have the kernel *by default*
wait a little longer for the rootfs to show up.

Not forever, just a few seconds to compensate for the regression.

seconds!!!!!
The whole kernel boots in half a second!
..

Oh, absolutely I agree.

That's why I'm not suggesting a DELAY,
but rather a TIMEOUT (where it keeps trying up until the timeout).

For desktop, it should really just wait forever,
but I can understand situations (server room)
where that would be a Really Bad Idea.

So just have it sit there and retry the rootfs for a few seconds,
to compensate for this regression and also for others that have
yet to be discovered / reported.

Everyone's life will be easier that way.

Cheers