Re: USB storage no-boot regression (bisected)

From: Mark Lord
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 11:50:00 EST

Alan Stern wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Alan Cox wrote:

Why should every user suffer a slower boot and a poorer resume time ?

Instead make the root fs mounting look like this

while(my_rootfs_hasnt_appeared_and_i_am_sad()) {
wait_on(&new_disk_discovery);
}

and poke the queue whenever we add a relevant device.

That way if you are booting off an initrd you can finish the SATA probe
in parallel to getting userspace ticking over.

On what is nowdays essentially a hot plug system it all needs turning
this way up - eg RAID volumes should assemble and come online as the
drives are discovered not at some fixed point later in userspace.

Indeed, something like this should also be used for resume-from-hibernation, to wait for the swap device.
..

It just needs a way to set a finite timeout, so that server room
equipment can auto-panic-reboot and try again if a device has died.

-ml