Re: Fix quilt merge error in acpi-cpufreq.c

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 22:27:27 EST

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Show me one person _you_ actually taught to write good changelogs -
> just one person who was not a natural born talker to begin with.
> I'll show you a 100 other people who cannot write good commit logs.
> They'll try and will limp along, but generally they cannot.
>
> They might not even have English as their mother tongue - but still
> can read and understand C fantastically.

So?

The fix for that is not to write crap English. The fix for that is to help
them, and/or just fix their comments for them.

I really don't see the point of your argument. "People don't always write
good and complete sentences" is _not_ an argument for then making that a
standard.

Just fix things up. Edit their emails. I do. Andrew does. Yes, and despite
that some commits will still have odd grammar or otherwise not be the
great novel of the century, and that's not the point. But we should
_improve_ on the language for people who aren't native English speakers,
not devolve it to something weaker.

Linus