Re: linux-2.6.30rc1 mouse stuck with usb autosuspend enabled

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 06:15:43 EST

[ added Oliver to CC ]

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Corrado Zoccolo wrote:

> I found this regression w.r.t. 2.6.29.
> When enabling usb automatic power management for all usb peripherals, with:
> > for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/level; do echo auto > $i; done

Well, it's difficult to consider this to be a regression. With default
settings (USB autosuspend turned off), the system behaves the same way as
it did before (ie. no mouse autosuspend).

> after 2 seconds of inactivity (my autosuspend threshold), the mouse
> gets stuck under X.

That's because it got suspended, as you have configured it to do so.

> Pushing a mouse button will revive it (and the event is passed to X).

Which is expected behavior.

Your mouse (as many other mice out there) doesn't emit wakeup event on
movement, it only does on button click. There is nothing kernel can do
about it. This is one of the reasons why autosuspend is disabled by
default (other reason being many devices broken beyond hope when it comes
to waking up).

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs