Re: USB storage no-boot regression (bisected)

From: Mark Lord
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 09:49:40 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:51:53 +0100
Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Though it's an onboard USB SSD, not a pluggable stick.
Wow, that's insane. Leave it to a hardware designer to use a bus
that you never know if you have discovered all the devices to be
the primary device to boot from.
Let me see:

- Standardised small component
- Low pin count and low wire count bus
- Cheap

In an embedded environment where you know the device is wired in at
software level that strikes me not as insane but very sensible.

I'm not surprised usb is used for storage. What I am surprised at is
that USB is used in such high end environments that rootwait is not
sufficient and that the panic-rebooter is needed for the reliability.
..

Failover and redundancy are standard requirements for really reliable systems.
As good as a component may be, there's always anticipation that it will fail
someday, and multiple ways of detecting/overcoming failures must be built-in.

In this case, imagine *two* such SSDs.