Re: Scheduler regression: Too frequent timer interrupts(?)

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Fri Apr 17 2009 - 12:41:20 EST

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> As we've constituted, graph 1 is useless.

It certainly shows that the number of >1usec interrupts increases.

> I'm still not quite sure why you couldn't provide the data for the other
> graphs in email. They are not at all that much:

Could have but I thought I better focus on one.

> Graph 2: Noise Length
>
> Kernel Test 1 Test 2 Test 3 Interruption(AVG)
> 2.6.22 2.55 2.61 1.92 2.36
> 2.6.23 1.33 1.38 1.34 1.35
> 2.6.24 1.97 1.86 1.87 1.90
> 2.6.25 2.09 2.29 2.09 2.16
> 2.6.26 1.49 1.22 1.22 1.31
> 2.6.27 1.67 1.28 1.18 1.38
> 2.6.28 1.27 1.21 1.14 1.21
> 2.6.29 1.44 1.33 1.54 1.44
> 2.6.30-rc2 2.06 1.49 1.24 1.60
>
> Is pretty useless too, since it only counts >1us events. Hence it will
> always be biased.

So what would be useful is to have all the differences in terms of
nanoseconds between measurements? I can just remove the cutoff and then
measure in tenth of usecs. That would be okay?

> You could for example run an NMI profiler at 10000 Hz and collect
> samples. Or use PMU hardware to collect numbers

The point is to have an test apps that can be used to measure OS noise
that may have a variety of causes.

Such a test app needs to be as simple as possible. The TSC loop should be
fine as far as I can tell. Histogram is already there. I can just remove
the 1usec cutoff to get you full details.