Re: kbuild - introduce support for subdir-ccflags-y

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Sat Apr 18 2009 - 23:34:19 EST

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 05:07:50PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> * Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hmm, this won't make sense for ARM. ÂWe have things like #warning
>> > and deprecated functions in machine specific headers, and adding
>> > -Werror to the whole of arch/arm/ will result in these causing
>> > builds to fail.
>>
>> This is optional - if you dont want it, you dont set it.
>
> Please read _all_ of my mail, particularly the bit where it talks about
> it being useful for a certain subset.

It's my impression that on x86 it's a config option whether or not to
build with -Werror. You could do the exact same thing with an
internal inverted-logic CONFIG_ARM_ALLOW_WARNINGS option and make all
the boards triggering warnings "select ARM_ALLOW_WARNINGS". Then have
a user-visible config option "ARM_USER_ALLOW_WARNINGS" which also
selects the internal option. That adds some additional kconfig-level
documentation on which subarch combos need some love.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett