Re: arch/x86/Kconfig selects invalid HAVE_READQ, HAVE_WRITEQ vars

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sun Apr 19 2009 - 22:09:14 EST

Roland Dreier wrote:
> Also, atomicity might not be possible to guarantee on the bus level: > say the device sits on a 32-bit PCI bus. (No matter what instruction > the CPU gets, a readq/writeq there has to be done as two 32-bit bus > accesses.)

Well, the conventional PCI devices I know of with 64-bit registers were
PCI-X cards, keyed so they would only fit into a 64-bit slot. And of
course there is no such thing as 32-bit PCI Express.

It's quite possible to use most 64-bit PCI-X cards in a 32-bit slot, with the 64-bit part of the card not plugged into anything. It's supposed to work (as long as the card can handle the voltage the slot uses).