Re: [GIT] kbuild

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 04:22:36 EST

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 06:15:38AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 06:45:51AM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>
> > For kernel proper the use of -idirafter would be confusing.
> > But for um alone we should be safe provided it is properly commented.
>
> Less than for all um - it's only for USER_OBJ there. It is special,
> simply because for uml the counterpart of really low-level glue has
> to talk to libc. So there we have separation into "normal kernel source"
> and "userland code that uses userland headers, calls libc functions, etc."
>
> > I have already fixed um the obvious way for asm-offsets in my local tree.
> > But if you prefer I can add a -dirafter based patch before the "move
> > asm-offsets.h to incldue/generated" patch.
>
> I've dumped several header cleanup patches for uml into
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/um-header.git/
> including the -idirafter, move of user_constants.h, etc.
> Another fun thing: user.h used to be included directly by just about
> every userland-side file. Switched it to -include user.h (for USER_CFLAGS,
> of course - not for normal stuff), killed includes, got rid of shitloads
> of kern_constants.h includes at the same time. At which point getting
> rid of kern_constants.h became trivial.
>
> Up to Jeff's approval, obviously - *including* -idirafter patch.

I have skimmed the patches - they all looked good to me.
Everyting that cleans up arch/um/Makefile is good!

I you respin them you can add my:

Acked-by: Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The asm-offsets.h that um picks us is the one generated by um.
So we still need to add a dummy file in arch/um/include/asm that
only do:
#include <generated/asm-offsets.h>

I will do so in my patch-set.

Sam