Re: [Patch] Wait for console to become available, ver 3

From: David VomLehn
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 18:30:48 EST

> Personally, I'm in favor of adding a boot parameter. Things could be
> simplified slightly by treating a negative value (or a missing value)
> as indicating an infinite timeout; then only one new parameter would be
> needed instead of two.

I'm allergic to the idea of a user interface using negative one to mean
infinity. It's an bizzare idea that makes sense only to programming
wankers. Such as ourselves. Having a missing value mean infinitity is a
not whole lot better.

I do agree with the idea of adding one boot parameter rather than two. How
about keeping the consoledelay parameter, but allow it to either take a
string, such as "forever", or an integer, which is the number of milliseconds
to delay? I think that will make sense to a lot more people.

Note that, as far as the implementation goes, using a -1 to mean an infinite
wait may very well make sense. I just don't think it makes sense where decent
people can see it.
--
David VomLehn