Re: [Patch] Wait for console to become available, ver 3

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 18:54:22 EST

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:35:00 -0700
David VomLehn <dvomlehn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:14:00PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:51:16 -0400 (EDT)
> > Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > What if a subsystem simply doesn't know in advance whether or not it's
> > > going to register a console? Or doesn't know when it has finished
> > > probing all devices (since a new device could be plugged in at any
> > > time)?
> >
> > Fix it. It's trivial to make a sub-driver call back into a higher
> > layer to tell it that it registered a console. Or just do the
> > i_will_be_adding_a_console_soon()/oops_im_not_adding_a_console_after_all()
> > calls from the layer which _does_ know.
>
> In the case of the console, we already have register_console(), which is
> what I'm using. I think your proposal will require adding code all over
> the place. And buses such as USB simply have no way of knowing whether they
> are done enumerating devices. A new device could take hours to come on line.

Add a timeout parameter to i_will_be_adding_a_console_soon(). (This
means that the how-long-to-wait-for policy is probably ahrd-coded into
the kernel which might be a problem).

> > Yes, a boot parameter is "simple" to inplement. But it's ghastly from
> > a usability POV. Especially if you care about boot times. For how
> > long do you delay? The user has to experiment with different delays
> > until he finds the magic number. Then he adds 10% and waits for the
> > inevitable failure reports to come in.
> >
> > It's much better to just get it right, even if that makes it more
> > "complex".
>
> With USB, you just can't *ever* get it right. There is no limit on how
> long a device has to tell you its there. I wish this weren't the case,
> but our good friends in the USB world tell us that we have been lucky
> to have had USB consoles work as long as they have.

Sigh, OK, I appreciate the problem better. But the proposed "solution"
is really quite fragile. I expect that it will only prove usable in
highly controlled hardware setups.

Is my option a) any use?