Re: Is sata_nv compatible with async scsi scan?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 06:28:23 EST

Benny Halevy wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Since 2.6.29 I'm having intermittent problems with booting kernels.
After supposedly waiting for scsi async scan to complete,
quite frequently I see errors from the init resume process
when it fails to find the swap partition and later the root
file system fails to load.

A workaround that I found to be helpful is booting the kernel
with scsi_mod.scan=sync so I suspect sata_nv has a problem
with asynchronous scanning.

Personally, I think the whole system is broken, so continue to use this workaround until it gets fixed upstream. This sounds like some timing issues related to waiting for the device probe to finish, something that people keep breaking (witness my USB flash drive boot breakage).

Jeff