Tool support for Kconfig

From: Rafael Lotufo
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 16:52:17 EST

Hello,

My name is Rafael Lotufo, I'm a MASc student at University of Waterloo in the Generative Software Lab (http://gsd.uwaterloo.ca).
Our research group is currently working on tool-supported ways of creating feature configurations and evolving large models
of such configurations, which we refer to as feature models.

We currently see the Linux kernel configuration options as a very rich real-world feature model, and it has been our subject
of investigation since last January. Our current efforts have been to create a reasoning tool for the Kconfig options, something that
could help in finding recursive dependencies, configuration options that cannot be selected, and even tools that would facilitate
configuring the Linux kernel, like resolving dependencies for a wanted configuration option that cannot be currently selected
due to its dependencies. Furthermore, the reasoning tool can compute semantic diffs, intersections, unions, and slices of Kconfig
specifications.

We would be interested to receive input from interested Linux kernel developers regarding their experience
with modifying Kconfig files. Would a tool for analyzing and comparing Kconfig files be useful?
What questions one typically has to answer when evolving Kconfig files? Are there any frequent problems
or mistakes?

We would very much appreciate any input on this subject.

Thank you very much for you attention,

--
Rafael Lotufo
MASc Candidate