Re: [git pull] IDE fixes

From: Ray Lee
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 18:03:13 EST

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
<bzolnier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 April 2009 21:55:03 Joe Perches wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 21:43 +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
>> > IMO we should just remove extra commas and add some whitespaces.
>>
>> Your choice.
>> Ignore, reject, accept, improve, fine by me.
>>
>> > I have also more general (process oriented) comment:
>> >
>> > All patches have been posted to linux-kernel or linux-ide for review before
>> > and it is _much_ more efficient to raise issues (including CodingStyle ones)
>> > during "review phase" instead of during "push to Linus" phase.
>>
>> Maybe for you, but I'm an intermittent
>> and random reader.
>
> For everybody involved in the process -- this includes you.
>
> I'm not the original author of many patches so I simply cannot be
> correcting every single issue because:
>
> a) it is physically impossible
>
> b) it doesn't really educate people

His point is that you can queue a follow-up patch to remove the
ugliness. Just because it didn't get caught until the push stage
doesn't mean the code needs to stay set in stone for the rest of
eternity.

What most maintainers do at this stage is say "Great idea! Send me a
patch." Perhaps you could try that tack instead.