Re: 2.6.29.1: Pid: 2831, comm: nfsd Not tainted 2.6.29.1 #4

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 18:51:33 EST

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Jesse Brandeburg wrote:

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Aioanei Rares <krnl.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Justin Piszcz wrote:
This has been happening with 2.6.28.(x) and now 2.6.29.(x), can anyone
suggest the possible root cause of this problem, re: the nfsd page
allocation
failures:

Yes, it happened to me too on a Debian unstable machine with more than one
kernel, starting with 2.6.28 until now. I have a feeling it's a
Debian-specific problem rather than a kernel one.

you may both want to try
echo 16384 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes

or some other value depending on your amount of ram. This change will
increase the minimum amount of memory available for network memory
allocations, which are called from softirq context to refill the NIC's
receive buffers.

Will give it a shot, the default was already pretty close to the suggestion, 11441, if it recurs, will increase further.

Thanks,

Justin.