Re: [Patch] mm tracepoints update - use case.

From: KOSAKI Motohiro
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 20:48:37 EST

> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 08:07 -0400, Larry Woodman wrote:

> > > (do you have a link to that mail?)

> > I will work up some good examples of what these are useful for. I use
> > the mm tracepoint data in the debugfs trace buffer to locate customer
> > performance problems associated with memory allocation, deallocation,
> > paging and swapping frequently, especially on large systems.
> >
> > Larry
>
> Attached is an example of what the mm tracepoints can be used for:

I have some comment.

1. Yes, current zone_reclaim have strange behavior. I plan to fix
some bug-like bahavior.
2. your scenario only use the information of "zone_reclaim called".
function tracer already provide it.
3. but yes, you are going to proper direction. we definitely need
some fine grained tracepoint in this area. we are welcome to you.
but in my personal feeling, your tracepoint have worthless argument
a lot. we need more good information.
I think I can help you in this area. I hope to work together.