Re: 2.6.29.1: unregister_netdevice problem

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 19:31:24 EST

"Alexander V. Lukyanov" <lav@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Eventually I have an increased load average without apparent reason.
> When I reboot the server in such a case, I get infinitely repeating
> messages on the console:
>
> unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0.2 to become free. Usage count = 4
>
> eth0.2 is a vlan interface, eth0 is 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek
> Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
> controller (rev 01)

CC: netdev where someone might have a better clue.

Infinitely repeating unregister_netdevice messages means something
isn't releasing it's reference count to your network device.

There really isn't enough information in your email to figure out
what you were doing that, or what piece of code triggered this.

Eric