Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86: linker script: avoid ALIGN statements inside output sections

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 05:58:43 EST

> Below is hpa's fix merged up by me on top of your cleanups. That
> merge-up is incomplete as we lose these fixlets.
>
> And in this form it's visible how we lose those cleanups you did -
> which werent really cleanups ... Please keep such side-effects apart
> from truly mechanic cleanups, whenever possible - it makes life
> really simpler.

The cleanup that you applied did NOT move any ALIGN() - or
at least not on purpose.
It was supposed to be a noop from a functionality point of view.

I have started to unify the the two vmlinux.lds files for
32 and 64 bit - and as part of that serie (yet to be published) you will
see individual commits where ALING() is moved and secitons
are reordered etc.
I do this in baby steps so we can track regressions using bisect.

The work is done on top of x86/kbuild and I will rebase as needed when
I have it ready.

Sam