Re: TSC marked unstable on suspend and resume

From: David Fries
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 19:40:32 EST

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:45:40AM -0700, john stultz wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:39 PM, David Fries <david@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm getting TSC marked as unsable on hibernate to disk with
> > 2.6.29-rc3. ?The last kernel I ran 2.6.24.4 ran 300+ days without a
> > problem and does not loose TSC on hibernate.
> >
> > I'm hibernating with `echo disk > /sys/power/state`.
> > These look like the relavant messages,
> >
> > CPU 0 irqstacks, hard=c0379000 soft=c0378000
> > PID hash table entries: 1024 (order: 10, 4096 bytes)
> > Fast TSC calibration using PIT
> > Detected 300.705 MHz processor.
> > Calibrating delay loop (skipped), value calculated using timer frequency.. 601.41 BogoMIPS (lpj=300705)
> > hibernate to disk,
> > Restarting tasks ... done.
> > Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = 499883531 ns)
>
> Hmm. Seems like the clocksource watchdog is having some problem
> handling state around hibernate.
>
> Out of curiousity: Does suspend-to-ram also trigger this?

Suspend to ram isn't supported by the system, disk is the only
available /sys/power/state.

> Can you send me a full dmesg log?

Attached, it was the only log I saw that had bootup through the tsc
marked unstable. Looking at the log I assume I booted to a shell,
hibernated, resumed, then ran init, in that case the system is as
fresh and idle as it gets. This system's been up for two months and I
don't reboot much so I don't remember for sure.

--
David Fries <david@xxxxxxxxx>
http://fries.net/~david/ (PGP encryption key available)