New TRIM/UNMAP tree published (2009-05-02)

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Sun May 03 2009 - 03:16:36 EST

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 11:11:50PM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > blkdev_issue_discard() and blk_ioctl_discard() has half a page
> > of common (and changing) code, could be done to use a common
> > helper that sets policy about bio allocation sizes and such.
> >
> > Just my $0.017
>
> Yes, that works nicely. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've pushed out a new git tree:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/willy/ssd.git;a=shortlog;h=trim-20090502

Changes since the last version:

- Based on 2.6.30-rc4.
- Dropped the three patches which were already merged.
- Shuffled 'Make DISCARD_BARRIER and DISCARD_NOBARRIER writes instead of
reads' to the front of the queue since it's not controversial and could
be merged earlier.
- Inserted 'Unify blk_ioctl_discard and blkdev_issue_discard' as patch two.
- Updated 'ide: Add support for TRIM' to compile with new IDE code.

Still to do:
- Understand all the changes Bart made to the IDE code; I didn't make all
the changes that he did. I just made it compile for now.
- Dave had some objections to the description of 'Make DISCARD_BARRIER and
DISCARD_NOBARRIER writes instead of reads', but didn't propose replacement
text.
- Figure out what to do about memory allocation.
- Handle error returns from discard_prep.
- Test the new code still works.
- Delve into the latest SCSI spec and see if anything changed in UNMAP

Given the extensive length of the todo list, I shan't send out the mailbomb.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."