Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/2] utrace/ptrace: simplify/cleanup ptrace attach

From: Roland McGrath
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 15:45:30 EST

> The second patch "ptrace: do not use task_lock() for attach" has nothing
> to do with utrace, and it is really pure ptrace cleanup.

Indeed.

> But it can't be applied to -mm tree, because it (textually) conficts with
> utrace changes in ptrace_attach().

Oh, -mm. I had not thought about the -mm patch merge order. I just look
at the whole ptrace-related series from you as an independent series on top
of Linus -current, preceding anything else related.

> > When those are on their way,
> > we'll update the utrace patches not to conflict. I don't think it makes
> > sense to include utrace.patch's little ptrace.c change in the baseline tree
> > for your ptrace cleanup patches.
>
> Yes, but in this case, how can we push it before utrace-core.patch ?
>
> The first patch is only for -mm, to avoid the painful dependencies.

I guess we should take Andrew's advice on this. To me, it makes most sense
just to order the -mm patches so utrace comes later, and replace the utrace
patch as necessary with a compatible version. Perhaps things would be
simpler if we made a separate standalone series or git tree (tip/ptrace?)
for ptrace cleanups.

Thanks,
Roland