Re: perf_counter: resetting a event counter

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 03:42:34 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 08:52 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Corey Ashford <cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In implementing the PAPI_reset function, whose purpose is to reset
> > > all of the counters in an event set, I found that [it appears]
> > > there is no straight-forward way to implement this function using
> > > "Performance Couunters for Linux". My current implementation just
> > > closes the counters and reopens them again. This is not a elegant
> > > solution, nor is the other alternative that occurred to me:
> > > maintain a "virtual" counter in user space, maintained using a
> > > base count, which is subtracted off of the current perf_counter
> > > value of a particular counter.
> > >
> > > Is there a way that I missed to reset an event counter? If not,
> > > I'd like to request that a new ioctl command be added to support
> > > this ability.
> >
> > We already have such ioctl actions:
> >
> > case PERF_COUNTER_IOC_ENABLE:
> > case PERF_COUNTER_IOC_DISABLE:
> > case PERF_COUNTER_IOC_REFRESH:
> >
> > It would be a pretty natural addition to also have a reset method
> > there. Would you like to take a stab at it and send a patch? A
> > first-level approximation would be to do something like:
> >
> > perf_counter_disable(counter);
> > atomic64_set(&counter->count, 0);
> > perf_counter_enable(counter);
> >
> > btw, the reset code should probably take the counter->mutex lock as
> > well, because parallel resets done from multiple contexts are
> > otherwise not well-defined.
>
> I would suggest simply bailing when the counter is active when
> trying to reset if anything.
>
> A plain: atomic64_set(&counter->count, 0), sounds attractive too.
>
> The trouble with putting in those disable/enable calls is that you
> cannot use the ioctl on an already disabled call, since it will
> immediately enable it. Also, using it on an active counter is racy
> in nature so the disable/enable cycle (or the proposed mutex)
> doesn't buy you anything.

Yes, it all seems a bit racy - but straightforward.

I dont think we should restrict the ioctl to disabled state alone -
we should disable it if it's not disabled - reset the counter - then
re-enable-it if it was enabled before.

Btw., hw_counter->prev_counter needs to be reset too (if it's a hw
counter not a sw counter), right?

Ingo