Re: compat ioctl32 for /dev/snapshot?

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 07:43:21 EST

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Monday 04 May 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
In fact I don't think the 32-bit user space will work with 64-bit kernels as is
in this particular case, because of the different pointer size.

Having a quick look at the code (I don't remember the details right now)
I think most probably it could be modified to handle this case too, but I'm not
really sure.

I don't see anything in the snapshot code that passes pointers to the
kernel, so why should the pointer size matter?

It's the userspace part (uswsusp). In particular it parses swap
on-disk data structures.

But in any case, without compat_ioctl32 in kernel userspace part
can not be fixed.

/mjt