Re: IOMMU and graphics cards

From: David Miller
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 14:36:49 EST

From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 11:22:01 +0100

> On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 12:01 +0200, Joerg Roedel wrote:
>> > Looks like the DRM code uses the DMA API.
>>
>> The proprietary drivers make problems so far. For the ATI one I am in
>> contact with the developers to try to fix it. But I can't do anything
>> about the other proprietary driver I am aware of :-(
>
> I see no harm in "breaking" code which was already broken. If that's the
> only reason we're enabling the graphics workaround, let's turn it off.

Seriously, this is an enormous price to pay just for one bad apple
proprietary driver.

I can't believe the level of concessions some people are suggesting.

Let's not make IOMMU's basically useless by working around one broken
driver.

Proper interfaces for what this driver is trying to do have existed in
the kernel for 10+ years. There are no excuses, and it's time for
Nvidia to get with the game plan.