Re: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce

From: Shannon McMackin
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 21:25:27 EST

trekker.dk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well...

To summarise disadvantages:

- only core has 8000 LoC
- it does stuff that can be easily done in userspace
(and that todays distros _do_ in userspace).
- it duplicates uswsusp functionality.
- compared to [u]swsusp, it received little testing

To summarise advatages - for me tuxonice is the only hibernation method that works.
(Till now I've had 3 machines - no one of them able to resume with in-kernel swsusp.)

Just to add my 2 cents as a user of TOI. Every distro and release I've tried has one major issue with kernel hibernation. Upon resume when hibernating large images, there's a residual footprint in swap. Every further hibernation creates a larger footprint, to the order of an additional 5-7% each time. Nobody has ever cared in any forum to explain why or how I might change that.

TOI does not do this and that's why I've been using it on every distro I can for the past 4 or 5 years. I for one would love to see TOI capability added to the mainline to improve functionality and performance. If we can't get all 3 maintained, then 2 that are better would seem to suffice...