Re: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 05:11:42 EST

Kenneth Crudup wrote:
Oh, and I can hit "ESC" in the middle of suspending with TuxOnIce and
back out of it if I'd changed my mind for whatever reason.

There are(/were) competing ieee1394 OHCI drivers and competing Bluetooth
USB HCI drivers, and that's just off the top of my head- so having
competing suspend/resume methods won't be anything new. Let the market
decide which is best.

The case of two 1394 driver stacks isn't fully comparable. I supported the addition of the second stack with the intent to replace the existing one after a transition period, and in the hope that the ratio of available maintainer manpower : size and complexity of the codebase would improve considerably. Because that was/is the single fundamental problem in Linux 1394 driver land.

(Besides, how well is infrastructure like the suspend--resume framework comparable to drivers?)
--
Stefan Richter