Re: 2.9.29.2: ide-tape: panic when probing device at boot

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 20:58:36 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> [ cc:ing linux-ide and knowledgeable people ]
>
> Borislav/Tejun:
>
> Is the 2.6.29 problem the same thing that was fixed recently?
>
> Should I just push commit 1e75540ec5202cae63cd238c86bd880e3d496546
> ("ide-tape: remove back-to-back REQUEST_SENSE detection") to Linus
> or there is more needed to bring ide-tape to the world of living?

The oops will probably fixed the above commit. I don't have much idea
about the DMA problem on 2.6.24 tho. But even with the above commit
fixed, I doubt it would work. The buffer allocation code is broken
and reliably triggered OOM on my test machine. While trying to locate
the bug, I realized the complex code didn't do much good to begin with
and just stripped it down, so I didn't actually tracked down the
actual bug && the patch to simplify buffer management is way too large
for 2.6.29, so unless someone is willing to hunt down the bug just for
2.6.29, we're kind of stuck. :-(

Thanks.

--
tejun