Re: [Patch 00/12] Hardware Breakpoint Interfaces

From: K.Prasad
Date: Tue May 12 2009 - 10:05:46 EST

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 02:09:48PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009, K.Prasad wrote:
>
> > > Still, in hw_breakpoint_handler(), perhaps the "if (i >=
> > > hbp_kernel_pos)" path should also check for !bp. Just to be safe. In
> > > other words, move the
> > >
> > > + if (!bp)
> > > + continue;
> > > + rc = NOTIFY_DONE;
> > >
> > > lines outside the "if" statement.
> > >

> > I don't see where the out-of-sync situation between hbp_kernel_pos and
> > this_hbp_kernel[] can cause problem. Our concern is when an exception
> > arises in the small time-window starting at the time when hbp_kernel[]
> > is updated in common code and ends when exceptions are disabled through
> > the IPI routine arch_update_kernel_hw_breakpoint. Consider these two
> > cases now:
> >
> > i)register_kernel_hw_breakpoint() - Although hbp_kernel_pos is
> > decremented before the IPI, no new exceptions will arise because of the
> > same on a CPU where this_hbp_kernel[] is not synced because the physical
> > debug registers are not yet set. So, the 'i' in "if (i >= hbp_kernel_pos)"
> > cannot belong to the newly registered breakpoint. If it is for the new
> > breakpoint, then it is on a CPU where this_hbp_kernel[] is synced with
> > hbp_kernel[].
> >
> > ii)unregister_kernel_hw_breakpoint() - hbp_kernel_pos is incremented
> > after all the IPIs have finished, so hbp_kernel_pos still points to the
> > old value whose hbp_kernel[] is NULL. However in "if (i >= hbp_kernel_pos)"
> > if 'i' points to the 'pending-delete' breakpoint, then 'bp' is derived
> > from this_hbp_kernel[] which contains the old value. The callback
> > bp->triggered() is invoked and the exception returns fine.
> >
> > Let me know if I am missing any possibility leading to incorrect
> > behaviour.
>
> Your analysis is correct, but to me it feels a little fragile. Future
> changes to the code might cause an unexpected interaction. Moving that
> test won't hurt anything and it will make the handler slightly more
> robust.

I agree it keeps the code much safer. Here's the relevant code-snippet:

if (i >= hbp_kernel_pos)
bp = per_cpu(this_hbp_kernel[i], cpu);
else {
bp = current->thread.hbp[i];
rc = NOTIFY_DONE;
}
/*
* bp can be NULL due to lazy debug register switching
* for
* user-space requests or the exception was triggered in
* the
* mismatch window when 'hbp_kernel_pos' and
* 'this_hbp_kernel[]'
* are out-of-sync
*/
if (!bp)
continue;

> > > I still think it would be a good idea to avoid freeing any breakpoint
> > > structures until you know for certain they aren't needed. Otherwise
> > > you might find that you're unable to allocate memory to re-create a
> > > structure that was already present.
> > >
> > > Alan Stern
> > >

> > I agree that we shouldn't free memory temporarily that would be needed
> > later, as memory may not be available. However such a situation does not
> > arise in ptrace_write_dr7() after the re-write using
> > (un)register_user_hw_breakpoint(). kfree(bp) is done when
> > i) an existing breakpoint is disabled
> > ii) a breakpoint is requested but register_user_hw_breakpoint() routine
> > fails for some reasons. Hence the breakpoint structure kzalloc()'ed
> > afresh is kfree()'ed.
> > iii) In case of modifications to the type of breakpoint (such as
> > read<-->write), the breakpoint structure is not de-allocated and this is
> > where __modify_user_hw_breakpoint() helps us. There is no opportunity
> > window where the breakpoint can be grabbed by other requests when a
> > modification is done.
> >
> > Let me know if you think there's still some discrepancy here.
>
> Okay. Let's suppose a single userspace breakpoint has already been
> allocated and set up as breakpoint 0. Now another ptrace call comes
> along, in which bp 0 is disabled and bp 1 is requested. This is your
> case (i); the breakpoint structure for bp 0 will be deallocated. But
> maybe something goes wrong with the register_user_hw_breakpoint() call
> for bp 1, so we have to restore the old settings. The code will try to
> allocate a new breakpoint structure to hold bp 0; what happens if
> that allocation fails? The user program will know that the write to
> DR7 didn't succeed, so it will think the pre-existing breakpoint is
> still valid. But it isn't.
>
> If instead you had avoided deallocated the structure for bp 0 until the
> end, then there would be no need to reallocate it during the restore
> and so the restore would succeed.
>
> Alan Stern

Thanks for explaining the case so well, I did not foresee it! The
ptrace_write_dr7() is modified to perform changes in two-passes. The first
one will effect all register/modify operations while the second one will
unregister. One issue that I see in this method is if/when virtual debug
registers are implemented, we may incorrectly deny a register request
for want of physical debug registers (because they have not been free-ed
through an earlier unregister operation). Let me know if you think it
can be done better. Here's the new ptrace_write_dr7():

static int ptrace_write_dr7(struct task_struct *tsk, unsigned long data)
{
struct thread_struct *thread = &(tsk->thread);
unsigned long old_dr7 = thread->debugreg7;
int i, rc = 0;
int enabled, second_pass_reqd = 1;
unsigned len, type;
struct hw_breakpoint *bp;

data &= ~DR_CONTROL_RESERVED;
restore:
/*
* Loop through all the hardware breakpoints, making the
* appropriate changes to each.
*/
for (i = 0; i < HB_NUM; i++) {
enabled = decode_dr7(data, i, &len, &type);
bp = thread->hbp[i];

if (!enabled) {
if (bp) {
/* Don't unregister the breakpoints right-away,
* unless all register_user_hw_breakpoint()
* requests have succeeded. This prevents
* any window of opportunity for debug
* register grabbing by other users.
*/
if (second_pass_reqd)
continue;
unregister_user_hw_breakpoint(tsk, bp);
kfree(bp);
}
continue;
}

if (!bp) {
rc = -ENOMEM;
bp = kzalloc(sizeof(struct hw_breakpoint), GFP_KERNEL);
if (bp) {
bp->info.address = thread->debugreg[i];
bp->triggered = ptrace_triggered;
bp->info.len = len;
bp->info.type = type;
rc = register_user_hw_breakpoint(tsk, bp);
if (!rc)
set_tsk_thread_flag(tsk, TIF_DEBUG);
else
kfree(bp);
}
} else {
spin_lock_bh(&hw_breakpoint_lock);
rc = __modify_user_hw_breakpoint(i, tsk, bp);
spin_unlock_bh(&hw_breakpoint_lock);
}

if (rc)
break;
}

/* If anything above failed, restore the original settings */
if (rc < 0) {
data = old_dr7;
second_pass_reqd = 0;
goto restore;
}
if (second_pass_reqd) {
/* Enter the second-pass after disabling 'second_pass_reqd' */
second_pass_reqd = 0;
goto restore;
}
return rc;
}

I will repost the patchset along with the changes explained above.

Thanks,
K.Prasad