Re: [patch 00/13] devtmpfs patches

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 10:20:37 EST

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 15:34, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> + Â Â kern_cred = prepare_kernel_cred(NULL);
>>
>> If you have no intention of altering the credentials you create, you might
>> want to use &init_cred instead of kern_cred. ÂThat said, you might want to
>> allocate it and let the security module alter it before you use it.
>
> Ah, didn't know that it was exported. It's the one in
> include/linux/init_task.h, right? I'll give that a try.

That seems to work fine here. Thanks a lot for the help.

Maybe we could do the same credential swap in sysfs, and get rid of:
/**
* lookup_one_noperm - bad hack for sysfs
* @name: pathname component to lookup
* @base: base directory to lookup from
*
* This is a variant of lookup_one_len that doesn't perform any permission
* checks. It's a horrible hack to work around the braindead sysfs
* architecture and should not be used anywhere else.
*
* DON'T USE THIS FUNCTION EVER, thanks.
*/

in fs/namei.c?

Seems a bit odd to have a vfs function for a single filesystem, called
from a single location, and annotated as "do not use". Christoph added
the comment a while ago, so adding him to Cc:.

Thanks,
Kay