Re: splice methods in character device driver

From: Steve Rottinger
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 12:59:41 EST

Thanks! This really helped me to progress using this interface. My
current problem
is passing in the pages into splice_to_pipe. The pages are associated
with a PCI BAR,
not main memory. I'm wondering if this could be a problem? Within my
driver, I use
ioremap() to map in the desired PCI BAR space; then, use virt_to_page()
to generate the
page table, based on the address returned from ioremap(). I can see
the correct pages
being received on the other end (by instrumenting the splice_to_file()
routine). However,
the data in the resulting outfile does not match the data contained
within in my PCI BAR. I
see that splice_to_file() uses kmap_atomic() to mapping in the page,
before performing a
memcpy. Is this going to be valid on an page that doesn't reside in
main memory?