unregister_netdevice: waiting for ppp0 to become free

From: Nicolas George
Date: Thu May 14 2009 - 05:58:54 EST

Hi.

I recently upgraded to 2.6.29.1, and since then I get the following message
when my DSL ISP disconnects me (which he does weekly):

unregister_netdevice: waiting for ppp0 to become free. Usage count = 7

I did not manage to get the network up again without rebooting.

PPP is working with kernel-level PPPoE. The only slightly unusual thing in
my configuration is a few QoS rules. The same configuration worked fine with
kernel 2.6.24.2. I do not see anything relevant in the ChangeLog for
2.6.29.2 and 2.6.29.3.

Killing pppd does not seem to trigger the problem. I did not try to unplug
the DSL modem yet.

I attach the SysRq-t log.

I hope someone can help me find the problem.

Regards,

--
Nicolas George