Re: [Security] [patch] random: make get_random_int() more random

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu May 14 2009 - 19:13:45 EST

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Jake Edge wrote:

> It seems like this should be queued up for stable, yes? I just saw the
> 2.6.29.4 review patches go out, but this wasn't part of it ...

Well, I was hoping to maybe have actual timing numbers from some better
hash, in case Matt can make one that is efficient enough. So I committed
the randomness improvement as a clear _improvement_ over what we had, but
it may not be the final version.

That said, I guess the same argument can be used for pushing it towards
stable too. Even if we end up doing something fancier, the patch is
clearly not any worse than what we have currently.

Linus