Re: unresponsiveness on linux desktop during file copy

From: Ray Lee
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 14:03:56 EST

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Satish Eerpini <eerpini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to figure out why the Linux desktop becomes overly
> unresponsive whenever there is a file copy going on, this happens to a
> large extent with GUI based file copying, and some lesser, but with
> command line copying too.
> does it have anything to do with the kernel ??,
> if it does help, then I am running Fedora 10 on a Hp nx 7400, Centrino
> Duo processor.

Which kernel version? If it's something recent, your programs may be
getting swapped out due to a flaw in the latest kernels, where it
accidentally prefers caching file data over mapped pages. If that's
the case, Rik (cc:d) is working on patches to address the issue, and
may appreciate another tester.