s2disk hangs with kernel >=2.6.29, SATA, Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H(bisected)

From: Richard Atterer
Date: Sat May 16 2009 - 18:52:35 EST

Hello,

I have had problems using s2disk starting sometime before 2.6.29 (and
continuing up until now, 2.6.30-rc6), but only got around to bisecting the
issue now.

The symptom is as follows: When I start s2disk (by running the hibernate
command), the system switches to the console and prints "s2disk:
Snapshotting system". The cursor freezes for a moment, I hear the noise
that my DVD writer makes when it is reset, the lights of my USB hub go off
and on again. Then the cursor continues to blink and nothing more happens,
the system just hangs.

I have a Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H motherboard with two disks attached: One SATA
disk containing Linux, and one older PATA disk with data. AHCI is enabled
in the BIOS.

The patch that causes the hang is 295f00042aaf6b553b5f37348f89bab463d4a469:
ide: don't execute the next queued command from the hard-IRQ context (v2)

Any help with this problem would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Richard

--
__ _
|_) /| Richard Atterer | GnuPG key: 888354F7
| \/¯| http://atterer.net | 08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25 D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
¯ '` ¯