Re: unresponsiveness on linux desktop during file copy

From: Satish Eerpini
Date: Sun May 17 2009 - 08:01:43 EST

> Hmm, how do you define/feel the unresponsiveness?  Is it related to
> the currently *running* applications, or opening a *new* application?

the unresponsiveness is for both the currently running applications
and for opening new applications, here are some pointers :

--> during normal operation, swtiching between windows( alt+tab) is
simultaneous, while during a file copy it takes around 1 second, which
I think is quite a lag.
--> Opening a simple application like gnome-terminal takes a second or
more for sure when there is a file copy going on.
-->Also a particular window after gaining focus takes a second or so,
to resume what it was doing, .. so if I am copying a file in a session
of gnome-terminal and open another session of gnome-terminal and type
in "clear" it takes around 2 seconds before the screen is cleared on
the second session,
this is the case with almost every application and worser with big
ones like firefox and office. This was the kind of unresponsiveness I
was talking about.

Cheers
Satish
--