Re: Rgeression: 2.6.30-rc6-git3 build error - ICE fromdrivers/char/random.c

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 11:11:43 EST

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Martin Knoblauch wrote:

> With your patch, the problem still remains. Line 1685 is the end of the patched routine now.

Ok, so can you do two other simple tests:

- just remove the "+ (long)&ret" entirely.

Now, usually gcc doesn't have issues with non-asm things, but that's an
odd way of getting the current stack address by lookin gat the address
of a variable that hasn't even been used, so maybe it triggers some
untested codepath in gcc (and thus the bug).

- if that doesn't make a difference, then remove the "get_cycles() +"
part instead.

The fact that "arch/x86/include/asm/tsc.h:23" is mentioned in the insn
dump does make it look like get_cycles(), but on the other hand I'd
have actually expected it to be "arch/x86/include/asm/msr.h:112",
because that is the location of the actual asm statement.

Just to see which part of it gcc has issues with.

Linus