Re: [Openipmi-developer] modprobe ipmi_si hangs under 2.6.30-rc5

From: Corey Minyard
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 12:34:31 EST

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
Corey Minyard <minyard@xxxxxxx> writes:

I know what is happening now. Can you try the attached patch? I'm
disabling the requeue and discarding the message when an IPMB message
is received before everything is initialized. If you don't, the code
will not deliver any messages because something is already in the
queue.

Yep, that fixed it, modprobe runs through now!
Thanks for testing this.

Ferenc Wagner wrote:

My concern is that it does something too often, not letting the CPU
enter deep sleep states, perhaps. Or is that also an artifact of
debugging?
No, it's an artifact of a lousy hardware interface. Very few IPMI
interfaces support interrupts, so they have to be polled :(.

I'd say this isn't an artifact but the sad truth itself. Just out of
interest, how often does the driver wake up to check the inteface?
I'd have to agree.

When idle, the driver wakes up every 10ms to check for something on the driver. When a message is in transit, it's every jiffie.

-corey