Re: [Openipmi-developer] modprobe ipmi_si hangs under 2.6.30-rc5

From: Corey Minyard
Date: Thu May 21 2009 - 08:37:33 EST

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
Corey Minyard <minyard@xxxxxxx> writes:

Ferenc Wagner wrote:

Just out of interest, how often does the driver wake up to check
the inteface?
When idle, the driver wakes up every 10ms to check for something on
the driver.

Wow, 100 times per second, that sure sounds gross for piping out SEL
entries! Though it certainly doesn't matter much for our servers, but
hasn't it got the potential to heavily tax laptop batteries? Or is
that why ipmi_si isn't loaded automatically by udev?
IPMI is used for a lot of things beyond just getting SEL entries. I some cases (probably most) it's excessive, in others it's not.

However, AFAIK IPMI hardware is only available in server systems. I don't think it's ever been used in a laptop.

-corey