Re: "make config" to another architecture doesn't relink include/asm

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri May 22 2009 - 14:45:42 EST

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
should i expect this with a fresh tree on x86_64?

$ make distclean
$ make defconfig
$ make modules_prepare
$ ls -l include/asm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 rpjday rpjday 7 2009-05-22 12:24 asm -> asm-x86
$

oh, wait, i changed my mind, i want to switch architectures so start
over:

$ make clean
$ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- omap3_beagle_defconfig
$ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- uImage
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/arm/Kconfig
include/config/auto.conf:15:warning: symbol value 'arch/x86/configs/x86_64_defconfig' invalid for ARCH_DEFCONFIG
CHK include/linux/version.h
make[1]: `include/asm-arm/mach-types.h' is up to date.
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
UPD include/linux/utsrelease.h
ERROR: the symlink include/asm points to asm-x86 but asm-arm was expected
set ARCH or save .config and run 'make mrproper' to fix it
make: *** [include/asm] Error 1

$ ls -l include/asm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 rpjday rpjday 7 2009-05-22 12:24 include/asm -> asm-x86
$

shouldn't it be sufficient that, if i do another "make ??_defconfig"
to another architecture, all traces of the previous configure are
erased and include/asm should be relinked automatically?

Does "make distclean" (or maybe "make mrproper") get you to really clean status?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>