Re: drivers/ide/ide-core: Convert printk's to pr_<foo> and dev_<foo>

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Fri May 22 2009 - 15:03:02 EST

On Monday 18 May 2009 22:11:26 Joe Perches wrote:
> Standardize printk's by mostly mechanical conversions of
> printk(KERN_<foo> to pr_<foo>(. The KERN_DEBUG uses are
> not done, deferred until a more standard mechanism exists
>
> Standardize pr_<foo> logging uses of drive->name and hwif->name
> to use dev_<foo>.

Looks fine but please:

* change the order of patches

Converting to pr_ in patch #1 just to convert to dev_ in patch #2 was
fine as an intermediate step but now that we have patch #2 you can:
- apply #1 + #2, revert (ignoring rejects) #1 and generate new #1
- on top of new #1 apply (ignoring rejects) old #1 to obtain new #2

It should be pretty simple/quick to do (especially using quilt)...

* push ">80 chars lines" change to patch #3

TBH this change is "a can of worms" (breaks automatic checking with
checkpatch.pl, creates precedent, makes code more difficult to work
on for some people) so I would prefer that we together try to improve
code areas identified by such patch before considering applying it.

* make sure that this patchset applies to ide-2.6.git/for-next
(or linux-next since it contains the above tree)

PS (answering your question) patch #2 is correct in using hwif->gendev
and not hwif->dev -- the latter points to host's device

Thanks.
Bart