Re: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce

From: david
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 20:36:51 EST

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Oliver Neukum wrote:

Am Montag, 25. Mai 2009 23:39:17 schrieb Nigel Cunningham:
If there's not enough swap available, swsusp should freeze, realize
there's no swap, unfreeze and continue. I do not see reliability
problem there.

If there's not enough storage available (I'm also thinking of the file
allocator Oliver wants), freeing some memory may get you in a position

No, I do want a dedicated partition. Going to a filesystem is just hiding
the problem. Filesystems can return -ENOSPC.
I also want my sytem to reliably hibernate if the filesystem to hold
the image happens to be remounted ro or to be undergoing a filesystem
check.

For full reliability you simply need a reservation. In addition that's
the fastest solution, too. A simple linear write to an unfragmented
area.
The typical system today has three orders of magnitude more disk
than ram. Do you really have a sytem you want to hibernate that has
less than 2two orders of magnitude more disk than ram?

I actually have a couple of systems that have 128G of ram and 144G of disk. and it can't take 3.5" drives (and I don't know if it's SAS backplane can drive SATA drives, if so it can't take many of them) so the 'dives are cheap' answer may not work.

now, the question of if it makes sense to try and hibernate this system is a very valid one.

David Lang