Re: Analyzed/Solved/Bisected: Booting 2.6.30-rc2-git7 very slow

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 02:31:22 EST

On Wed, 20 May 2009 03:22:28 -0700 (PDT) Martin Knoblauch <knobi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

<hello, any maintainers out there?>

So afacit what's happening is that the above change caused one of your
PCI devices to take a very long time to initialise, yes? Was it the
CCISS driver?

If you add "printk.time=y" to the kernel boot command line then you'll
get timestamped boot messages which will make it easier to determine
where the time was consumed. Adding `initcall_debug' to the boot line
will help us delve further into the delay, assuming that the offending
driver is build into vmlinux (which it might not be).

Either way, it would be useful to know which driver the above change
broke.

Once we know that, the questions is: doe sthe driver still work? If
so, then presumably the hardware if behaving unexpectedly, or in a way
which we're failing to cope with.

Or perhaps that patch was simply buggy.

btw, I don't agree that this report should be closed for "fuzziness"!
AFACIT the regression clearly and reproducibly occurs on one of your
machines, yes? That ain't fuzzy!