Re: [2.6.27.24] Kernel coredump to a pipe is failing

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 03:26:08 EST

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 05:29:35PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009 02:11:04 +0200 Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > I dunno. Is this true of all linux filesystems in all cases? Maybe.
> >
> > Assuming one of them is not would you rather want to fix that file system
> > or 10 zillion user programs (including the kernel core dumper) that
> > get it wrong? @)
> >

> I think that removing one bug is better than adding one.
>
> Many filesystems will return a short write if they hit a memory
> allocation failure, for example. pipe_write() sure will. Retrying
> is appropriate in such a case.

Sorry but are you really suggesting every program in the world that uses
write() anywhere should put it into a loop? That seems just like really
bad API design to me, requiring such contortions in a fundamental
system call just to work around kernel deficiencies.

I can just imagine the programmers putting nasty comments
about the Linux kernel on top of those loops and they would
be fully deserved.

And the same applies to in-kernel users really.

The memory allocation case more sounds like a bug in these fs and
in pipe.

e.g. the network stack sleeps waiting for memory, perhaps these
file systems should too.

Or it should just always return -ENOMEM. Typically when the
system is badly out of memory you're gonna lose anyways because
a lot of things start failing.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.