Re: linux missing support for _POSIX_THREAD_CPUTIME?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 16:00:35 EST

Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Chris Friesen wrote:
>

>>Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 27 May 2009, Chris Friesen wrote:
>>>
>>>That's more a question for the glibc folks. CC'ed.
>>
>>Actually, I'm looking at the kernel code here. It looks like
>>posix_cpu_clock_get() should be able to handle a per-task cpu clock for
>>another thread within the same process. However, it's only ever called
>>by thread_cpu_clock_get(), which hardcodes a clock_id of THREAD_CLOCK,
>>which corresponds to the current thread.
>

> No, it's also called via the CLOCK_DISPATCH magic in posix_timers.c

>>Similarly, invalid_clockid() will say that the clock_id is invalid if
>>it's positive but greater than 15. If my math is right, this means that
>>any pid > 2 will result in invalid_clockid() failing.

Both invalid_clockid() and CLOCK_DISPATCH assume that the clock_id will
be negative in order to call posix_cpu_clock_get().

In pthread_getcpuclockid() in glibc, I couldn't see how we were ending
up with a negative clock_id. However, I finally clued in to the fact
that there are multiple implementations of this function, and in one
code path in one of the implementations we call MAKE_THREAD_CPUCLOCK()
which can result in a negative clock_id.

Thanks for the help.

Chris