Re: [patch 0/5] Support for sanitization flag in low-level pageallocator

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 09:22:37 EST

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 13:42 +0200, pageexec@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Why waste time on this?
>
> e.g., when userland executes a syscall, it 'can run kernel code'. if that kernel
> code (note: already exists, isn't provided by the attacker) gives unintended
> kernel memory back to userland, there is a problem. that problem is addressed
> in part by early sanitizing of freed data.

Right, so the whole point is to minimize the impact of actual bugs,
right? So why not focus on fixing those actual bugs? Can we create tools
to help us find such bugs faster? We use sparse for a lot of static
checking, we create things like lockdep and kmemcheck to dynamically
find trouble.

Can we instead of working around a problem, fix the actual problem?