Re: [tip:perfcounters/core] perf_counter tools: Generate per command manpages (and pdf/html, etc.)

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 09:43:57 EST

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 01:00:33PM +0000, tip-bot for Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Commit-ID: c1c2365acf8c044f749c0fe1ea236497e8d1718e
> Gitweb: http://git.kernel.org/tip/c1c2365acf8c044f749c0fe1ea236497e8d1718e
> Author: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
> AuthorDate: Sat, 30 May 2009 12:38:51 +0200
> Committer: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
> CommitDate: Sat, 30 May 2009 13:52:44 +0200
>
> perf_counter tools: Generate per command manpages (and pdf/html, etc.)
>
> Import Git's nice .txt => {man/html/pdf} generation machinery.
>
> Fix various errors in the Documentation/perf*.txt description as well.
>
> Also fix a bug in builtin-help: we'd map 'perf help top' to 'perftop'
> if only the 'perf' binary is in the default PATH - confusing the manpage
> logic. I dont fully understand why Git did it this way - but i suppose
> it's a migration artifact from their migration from standalone git-xyz
> commands to 'git xyz' commands. The perf tools were always using the
> modern form so it's not an issue there.

Can we please have this patch split in at least a infrastructire and
a content part.
This makes it easier to review - and also makes it
much more clear what is needed to be added when adding new
documentation following this format.

I would also suggest to copy Randy Dunlap on patches
touching generic parts like this in Documentation.

I will try to review this when the splitup has heppend.

[I may have been copied on stuff earlier but I has been
and is almost off-line atm].

Thanks,
Sam