Re: Linux scheduler capabilities for batch jobs.

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 13:04:42 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:
J Louis wrote:

If it was possible to tell
the scheduler that it was OK not to be fair when scheduling these
processes, I think the total runtime could be reduced if it put some
of the processes to sleep while others completed. Is there a way to
tell the scheduler it is allowed to do this? Should there be?

There is no way to do this currently, but I suspect that it
would not be too difficult to add.

Of course, if you have two tasks that are each a little larger
than memory, your idea could lead to one of the processes being
starved forever. This is probably not acceptable :)

In fact, one single batch process that is swapping could trigger
the algorithm you described, halting itself. Your idea would
need very carefuly implementation to avoid these kinds of issues,
but I believe it could definately be done.

Some king of interaction between the swap token and the scheduler, perhaps, for SCHED_BATCH processes.